[gdal-dev] unable to open DGN

Andre Vautour andre.vautour at caris.com
Mon Nov 23 06:58:30 PST 2015

On 2015-11-20 17:40, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2015 02:20:55 PM Martin Landa wrote:
>> I am trying to open sample DGN file, but it fails. I guess that the
>> reason is unsupported version (man pages says: Microstation DGN files
>> from Microstation versions predating version 8.0 are supported for
>> reading.)
> As I understand it, version 8 is completely different.
>
>> Is there any possibility how to read this file using GDAL library?
> AFAICT, not unless you figure out version 8 format and implement it, or pay
> someone to do that work for you.
I just want to add that Teigha, which can currently be used to open DWG
in GDAL, does support DGN version 8. So, if someone wants to add that
support, I'd suggest looking at the DWG driver.

The DWG driver has:
class OGRDWGServices : public ExSystemServices, public ExHostAppServices

You'd need to have something like:
class OGRDGNServices : public OdRxSystemServices, public OdDgHostAppServices

I would not be surprised if considerable chunks of the DWG driver could
be generalized to work for both DWG and DGN,
André