[gdal-dev] tiled vector map

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Sep 7 07:32:31 PDT 2015

Ahmet Temiz <ahmettemiz88 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you Jukka for your interest.
>
> In my system, I intend to do that, specifically for our huge road map.

Unfortunately this is rather a light-weight specification. Read what Jaak
Laineste wrote, study what others have done, and think about your own use
case. Would it be read-only or will users send back updates? What to do with
long roads at tile boundaries - split, put the whole road to the tile which
has most of it, or include the road in all intersecting tiles? Are you
delivering just original data in full resolution or do you plan to deliver
simplified versions to be used as overviews?

In the most simple case you can cut tiles on-the-fly or pre-processed with
ogr2ogr http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html. Read about -split and various clip
options.

-Jukka Rahkonen-