[gdal-dev] Release 1.10.2?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Sep 9 04:43:44 PDT 2015

Le mercredi 09 septembre 2015 13:25:43, Ari Jolma a écrit :
> On 09.09.2015 14:11, Even Rouault wrote:
> > Le mercredi 09 septembre 2015 12:51:15, Ari Jolma a écrit :
> >> Folks,
> >>
> >> 1.10.1 was released two years ago and there seems to be >60 commits to
> >> that branch since.
> >>
> >> For example the latest Debian (Jessie) seems to still use GDAL 1.10.
> >>
> >> Is it time for 1.10.2?
> >
> > Hi Ari,
> >
> > Do you think they (or anyone else) would update to 1.10.2 if it was
> > released ? I guess they must be somewhat conservative on updates they
> > apply to already released versions.
>
> I don't know. But Debian seems to have chosen 1.10.
>
> > If you volunteer to do this release, fine for me, but I think we already
> > give good service to the community by maintaining the 2.0 and 1.11
> > branches.
>
> We seem to maintain 1.10 too by looking at the commits. However, it is 5
> months since the last one before I did one today. I did it since there
> was a bug and it was the latest stable Debian.

Well, I think it's ok for any committer to commit a fix in an old branch if the
thinks it is useful and safe. He might need it for a custom build for example.
But releasing an official tarball from a branch is something different which
involves more efforts.

> The roadmap
>
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/roadmap
>
> does not have 1.10.2. That seems to say that 1.10.2 is not planned.

I admit I marked it as closed (could likely be re-opened if needed) without
feedback from the community, when seeing that we had 2.0 and 1.11. I don't
know a lot of other OSGeo (or non-OSGeo) projects that maintain 2 released
branches. So 3...
In the past we only maintained 1.(X-1) when the dev version was 1.Xdev. I
think it is reasonable to maintain 1.11 for "some time" as a special
exception, as the transition to 2.0 will probably take more time.

> Maybe that should be told to the packagers somehow.

I think most packagers when seeing a 1.11 being released and maintained don't
have too much expectations on 1.10.