[gdal-dev] How to deal with IIP image via WMS minidriver?

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) bertelli at chartasrl.eu
Tue Sep 15 00:52:23 PDT 2015

Dear Petr,
I'm very fond of georeferencer.com; for many topographic and geographic
maps it's more effective than using a desktop application like QGIS.

The idea of implementing IIP/IIIF inside gdal has several reasons.
The first one is due to rights over the images. They are meant for personal
use, sometimes institutions are bound to contracts with private firms that
would not allow them to put these on georeferencer (I'm strongly againt
these agreements, but they are here to stay...), so hosting them elsewhere
would be at least embarassing if not illegitimate (there should also be a
way to open an arbitrary souce besides uploaded images, which is not the
case).
Another one is the ability of comparing historical maps one with another,
which is sometimes useful, besides a comparison between an unreferenced
image and Google Maps/Osm. Sometimes being able to use another reference,
say a cadastral map or a very detailed one is compelling (which is a third
reason).

I think that an alternative way to use IIP/IIIF may be useful and in the
spirit of and Open Source project as gdal.
It's obviously easy to download the tiles one by one (jot/curl) and
assemble them in a sometimes huge file (montage), but a more dynamic way is
a must in these cases. Evan confirmed it would be fairly easy modifying the
WMS mini-driver to do it, but I think a pseudo-referenced (by pixel) VRT
file could be forged (as a temporary provision), knowing the number of
tiles in a row (easy to do) and the number of rows. I'll try to raise some
funding for the project to help in this development. Meanwhile, if someone
would like to try doing something on it, I'll be grateful and I will try to
support this effort even afterwards.

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 12:12 AM, Petr Pridal <petr.pridal at klokantech.com>
wrote:

> Dear Carlo,
>
> if you use our Georeferencer.com online service we can provide you with a
> fast OGC WMTS service and crowdsourced online georeferencing of the remote
> image sources such as IIIF or IIP done in a web browser.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Petr
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:17 PM, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) <
> bertelli at chartasrl.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> is there a way -- maybe using the WMS minidriver -- to open an IIP
>> streamed picture?
>> The online service is well documented (
>> http://iipimage.sourceforge.net/documentation/) but unfortunately it
>> shows that the protocol is not at all compliant with the WMTS or TMS or
>> Google/SlippyMap schemas, even if it shares some of the ideas behind them.
>> There is an also an implementation of a plugin for Leaflet that could help.
>> Would anyone give some advice on how to deal with this common raster map
>> source for historical maps?

Carlo A. Bertelli
   Charta servizi e sistemi per il territorio e la storia ambientale srl
          Dipendenze del palazzo Doria,
          vc. alla Chiesa della Maddalena 9/2 16124      Genova (Italy)
          tel./fax +39(0)10 2475439  +39 0108566195  gsm:+39 393 1590711
   e-mail: bertelli at chartasrl.eu      http://www.chartasrl.eu