[gdal-dev] Installation prefix for Python bindings on MacOSX ?

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Sep 20 09:02:11 PDT 2015

I tried the bit there that gets the python path (get_python_lb), and it works to get the OS X user path if there is no arg, ie get_python_lib().

For OS X is that the python user path is independent of the installation prefix.

For the logic, one basic method in a makefile I can think of for detecting OS X is to check uname for Darwin.  Note that the python path is also independent on whether an OS X framework (MACOSX_FRAMEWORK) or unix library is built, so don't use MACOSX_FRAMEWORK to test for OS X.

On Sep 20, 2015, at 10:33 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com> wrote:

> Le dimanche 20 septembre 2015 17:24:18, William Kyngesburye a écrit :
>> /Library/Python/[version]/site-packages is the standard user path for OS X.
>> /usr/lib is not in the python path.  Even if you add /usr/lib to the
>> Travis setup, the installation will still be broken for general use.
>
> ok, thanks for the feedback William. So I guess we have to figure how to revert
> to the old behaviour on OS X then ? Any idea ? The changeset is
> https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/30564
>

>> On Sep 20, 2015, at 10:09 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Antonio has contributed a fix in https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4563
>>> to make the Python bindings honour the installation prefix.
>>>
>>> A side effect of this is that now on the MacOsX Travis instance, they are
>>> installed in /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages whereas previously they
>>> were installed in /Library/Python/2.7/site-packages
>>> But it appears that they are not found automatically when in
>>> /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages. Is it expected ? Should we define
>>> PYTHONPATH to /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages in thre Travis script (
>>> https://github.com/rouault/gdal_coverage/blob/trunk_travis_macosx/.travis
>>> .yml )
>>>
>>> Before change:
>>> https://travis-ci.org/rouault/gdal_coverage/builds/81193480 New
>>> behaviour: ​https://travis-ci.org/rouault/gdal_coverage/builds/81242249
>>>
>>> Even
>>
>> -----
>> William Kyngesburye <kyngchaos*at*kyngchaos*dot*com>
>> http://www.kyngchaos.com/
>>
>> First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled with
>> hyena offal? Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your
>> head in a bucket filled with hyena offal? First Pogril: I don't know
>> either.  Wretched, isn't it?
>>
>> -HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy
>
> --
> http://www.spatialys.com

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin