[gdal-dev] Looking for info on ADS/ODF imagery format

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Sep 22 13:38:45 PDT 2015

Hi everyone,

I have been sent an imagery dataset in what looks like an ADS imagery
format, and to my great surprise, it does not seem to be supported by GDAL.

The dataset is a directory starting with a set of header files

15_20140507_1441_RGBNN00L1.ads
15_20140507_1441_RGBNN00L1.hist
15_20140507_1441_RGBNN00L1.min
15_20140507_1441_RGBNN00L1.odf
15_20140507_1441_RGBNN00L1.odf.adj
15_20140507_1441_RGBNN00L1.sup
15_20140507_1441_RGBNN00L1.xml

and with a set of 84 TIF files with filenames as follows:

15_20140507_1441_RGBNB19L1_0_0.tif
15_20140507_1441_RGBNB19L1_0_84.tif

The TIF files appear to be adjacent tiles of 4096x20660 pixels each, but
unfortunately there is no georeferencing info in any of the TIF files,
and I do not find any useful georeferencing or origin coordinates info
in any of the readable header files either. Well, I can tell in which
UTM projection/zone the data is, but all coordinate values are zeros for
the tile references in the XML header files.

The only info I can find on the Net is here:
http://www.pcigeomatics.com/geomatica-help/references/pcifunction_r/modeler/m_cdads.html

which suggests that the .odf file contains "position and orientation data".

Of course, I tried a quick binary dump of the .odf file but it is quite
large (12MB) and I do not see anything obvious at first sight.

Does anybody know how to deal with that format, or how I can extract
location information for the TIF files out of that .ODF file?

Thanks in advance
--
Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/