[gdal-dev] Unable to find driver 'MYSQL' after successful config and make

Nicholas Williams nicholas+osgeo at nicholaswilliams.net
Wed Sep 23 08:29:42 PDT 2015

I'm having trouble getting ogr2ogr working with MySQL on Ubuntu 12.04, but
I can't figure out why. Configure says MySQL is enabled, but execution says
it's not.

In addition to other dependencies, I installed the MySQL client dev:

sudo apt-get install -y libmysqlclient-dev=5.5.28-rel29.1-334.precise

And I confirmed that mysql_config exists and is executable:

# ls -al /usr/bin/mysql_config
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6933 Oct 25  2012 /usr/bin/mysql_config

I configured, made and installed:

./configure --prefix=/usr --with-spatialite=yes --with-libjson-c=internal
--with-mysql=yes
make
make_install

The configure output suggests that MySQL support is enabled. I've
abbreviated it below, but I can post the entire output on request:

checking for mysql_config... /usr/bin/mysql_config
checking for MySQL... yes
GDAL is now configured for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

  Installation directory:    /usr
  C compiler:                gcc -g -O2
  C++ compiler:              g++ -g -O2

  LIBTOOL support:           yes
  cURL support (wms/wcs/...):yes
  PostgreSQL support:        no
  MySQL support:             yes
  Expat support:             no
  libxml2 support:           no
  SQLite support:            yes
  PCRE support:              no
  SpatiaLite support:        yes

I would think the "MySQL support: yes" and "checking for MySQL... yes"
would be fairly concrete. Additionally, I have scoured the make output, and
there were no errors or warnings around any of the MySQl stuff. So, it
should work, right? Apparently not:

# ogr2ogr --format mysql
ERROR 1: --format option given with format 'mysql', but that format not
recognised.  Use the --formats option to get a list of available formats,
and use the short code (ie. GTiff or HFA) as the format identifier.

# ogr2ogr -f MYSQL MYSQL:"geo,tables=Time_Zone_Polygons" -nln
Time_Zone_Polygons -nlt POLYGON \
    -update -append -progress -gt 40000 -fieldmap 2 \
    -lco ENGINE=MYISAM -lco LAUNDER=yes -lco FID=id -lco FID64=TRUE -lco
GEOMETRY_NAME=region tz_world.shp
Unable to find driver `MYSQL'.
The following drivers are available:
  -> `PCIDSK'
  ... (no MySQL anywhere)

Can I get some help/advice figuring out what went wrong?

Thanks,

Nick