[gdal-dev] gdal on cygwin

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:46:36 PDT 2016

Dear developers,

building and testing latest 2.1.0 RCx on cygwin
enabling perl and python I hit some very curious build
issues:

1)
The configure requires that CXX is not defined for
building the python swig system
It seems a old issue not cygwin specific:
http://www.michael-joost.de/gdal_install.html

It is an annoy issue impacting I suspect most of the
distribution build systems that usually predefine
variables like CXX. I lost several hours to
overcome the puzzling behavior of the build.

2)
I tried to overcome #1 using in autogen.sh
libtoolize --force --copy
aclocal --force -I ./m4
but it results in a cripple libtool, totally unusable.

Any hope for a full working autoreconf ?

3)
On ogr/ogrct.cpp there is a strange assumption that
shared lib will never be bumped

#elif defined(__CYGWIN__)
#  define LIBNAME      "cygproj-0.dll"

unfortunately current one is  /usr/bin/cygproj-9.dll
and previous was already /usr/bin/cygproj-1.dll.
Should be better to link with "-lproj" instead of assuming to
know the library name ?

I will need to rebuild the just released binary
https://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-04/msg00062.html
to correct the same mistake.

Regards
Marco