[gdal-dev] Error Compiling GDAL with ESRI FileGeodatabase Support On Ubuntu 16.04

Andrew Joseph ap.joseph at live.com
Thu Aug 4 13:24:51 PDT 2016

I'm not able to compile GDAL with the ESRI FileGeodatabase driver (needed for
write support) on Ubuntu 16.04 with Docker (current LTS) I'm using the the
travis.yml of the 2.1_gcc5.2_sanitize coverage branch as a guide since that
seems to be the closest environment to 16.04.

However, during GDAL make, I received the following soul-destroying error
when attempting to compile using the standard build-essential package (see
GIS StackExchange
<http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/204521/error-compiling-gdal-with-esri-filegeodatabase-support-on-ubuntu-16-04>
post for my build commands):

In file included from /usr/local/include/FileGDBAPI.h:28:0,
                 from filegdbsdk_headers.h:39,
                 from ogr_fgdb.h:50,
                 from FGdbDatasource.cpp:33:
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:56:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError CreateGeodatabase(const std::wstring& path,
Geodatabase& geodatabase);
 ^
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:64:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError OpenGeodatabase(const std::wstring& path,
Geodatabase& geodatabase);
 ^
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:69:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError CloseGeodatabase(Geodatabase& geodatabase);
 ^
/usr/local/include/GeodatabaseManagement.h:77:1: error: expected
constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
 EXT_FILEGDB_API fgdbError DeleteGeodatabase(const std::wstring& path);
 ^
In file included from /usr/local/include/FileGDBAPI.h:29:0,
                 from filegdbsdk_headers.h:39,
                 from ogr_fgdb.h:50,
                 from FGdbDatasource.cpp:33:
/usr/local/include/Geodatabase.h:60:23: error: expected initializer before
'Geodatabase'
 class EXT_FILEGDB_API Geodatabase
                       ^
FGdbDatasource.cpp:760:1: error: expected '}' at end of input
 }
 ^
make[3]: *** [../o/FGdbDatasource.lo] Error 1