[gdal-dev] No SONAME in libgdal.so when building with --without-libtool

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Aug 9 05:10:56 PDT 2016

Gareth,

What sort of issue do you encounter with SONAME not being defined ?

I've tested your patch and it doesn't generate the same soname as libtool.
libtool generates libgdal.so.20 deduced from the LIBGDAL_CURRENT /
LIBGDAL_REVISION / LIBGDAL_AGE variables.

Digging into history, it seems to be a voluntary choice not to define by
default the soname in non-libtool builds, but I'm not sure why :
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/4855

Even