[gdal-dev] Removing bridge/ and vb6/ from source tree ?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sun Aug 28 07:31:54 PDT 2016

Hi,

We have the bridge and vb6 directories in the source tree that are probably no
longer used by anyone (I don't recall any tickets or questions in recent years
regarding those 2 topics), but I would be interested in hearing opinions in
case someone still uses them (they are not part of default build scripts, so
there's a chance they might even not build currently)

The only description of what "bridge" is I could find is :
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/1999-May/002942.html , so basically
it is a way of using the GDAL API through dlopen()/GetProcAddress()
mechanisms. It seems this was developed primarily for the LIMP software, but
that one doesn't seem to be around anymore.

Regarding VB6 bindings, of course VB6 itself is completely obsolete and no
longer available at Microsoft. From
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic, seems that legacy VB6 applications
could perhaps still run in recent Windows versions (not completely clear
however)

Even