[gdal-dev] [gdal 2.1] ecw 5.2.1

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Dec 7 07:19:19 PST 2016

On mercredi 7 décembre 2016 14:31:33 CET Vincent BERNAT wrote:
> Thanks for reply Jeff :)
>
> There are lots of things about ecw 2.3.3 which is compiling for me.
> But not the 5.2.1 with gcc 5.1.0
>
> my problem is about link...
>
> In the 2.3.3 i had :
> - libNCSEcwC.so
> - libNCSEcw.so
> - libNCSCnet.so
> - libNCSCUtil.so
>
> but in ECW 5.2.1, i only got :
> - libNCSEcw.so
> - libNCSEcwJNI.so
>
> Is it enough to build it with gdal?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vincent
> De : gdal-dev <gdal-dev-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> de la part de Jeff McKenna
> <jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com> Envoyé : mercredi 7 décembre 2016 14:42
> À : gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org
> Objet : Re: [gdal-dev] [gdal 2.1] ecw 5.2.1
>
> Hi Vincent,
>
> You might also review the BuildHints wiki page, that we all try to keep
> uptodate, for ECW at https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ECW  And if you
> notice something missing (like a tip for CentOS users) please definitely
> edit that wiki page and add it.  Hopefully this helps a little. Thanks!
>
> -jeff
>

> --
> Jeff McKenna
> MapServer Consulting and Training Services
> http://www.gatewaygeomatics.com/
>
> On 2016-12-07 9:13 AM, Vincent BERNAT wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I work with gdal-2.1.0 on CentOS
> >
> > I would like to compil with ECW 5.2.1 so i add in the configure :
> >
> > --with-ecw=/usr/local/hexagon
> >

> > but i get the following message when compiling :
> >

> > libgdal.so : undefined reference to 'NCS::CView::SetTransformList (...)
> >
> > libgdal.so : undefined reference to 'NCS::CString::Utf8Decode(...)
> >
> > libgdal.so : undefined reference to 'NCS::CString::utf8_str(...)
> >

> > Did i miss something?

The issue is actually documented in https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/ECW:

"""
Binary ECW SDK and GCC >= 5.2
Since GCC 5.2, GCC uses by default a new C++ ABI for libstdc++, which is incompatible of the
ECW SDK binaries (at least to this date). The workaround is to build GDAL with CXXFLAGS="-
D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0" ./configure [options]
Note: this trick will not work if you link against other C++ libraries compiler with the new ABI
(such as likbml, podofo, poppler, cryptopp, etc.. typically coming from your distrution). If you
also need them, you'll have to recompile them from source with CXXFLAGS="-
D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=0"
"""
Even the latest ECW SDK 5.3 uses the old ABI. You'll have to wait that the vendor releases a
new build with the new C++ ABI for a less awkward solution.
Even