[gdal-dev] How to append to all layers with ogr2ogr?

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Feb 1 04:56:06 PST 2016

Hi,

I would like to collect data from a bunch of GML files into one GeoPackage
but GML files may contain more than 20 layers and ogr2ogr does not want to
append data for me because the -append switch probably has an effect only to
one explicitly given layer.

ogr2ogr -f gpkg -update -append mtk.gpkg /vsizip/K2433L_mtk.zip
ERROR 1: Layer Kunta already exists, and -append not specified.
        Consider using -append, or -overwrite.
ERROR 1: Terminating translation prematurely after failed
translation of layer Kunta (use -skipfailures to skip errors)

Is it reasonable to imagine that there could be an "append_all" switch which
would allow appending to all the layers in the target datastore?

-Jukka Rahkonen-