[gdal-dev] Vector Tiles in OGR

Blake Thompson flippmoke at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 16:03:42 PST 2016

Benjamin Stadin,

As an author of the specification, I have to disagree with you on the
support for other projections. There is no limitation on vector tiles being
required to being in mercator. The specification in fact mentions that
other projections may be used:

https://github.com/mapbox/vector-tile-spec/tree/master/2.1#3-projection-and-bounds

While it is not accessible via the node-mapnik bindings, we do in fact
support encoding as different projections in mapnik-vector-tile. We have
implemented the decoder so that it could accept other projections, but have
not added a mapnik datasource that would support them, but if there is
demand for such a thing we could do it.

Your comments about the entire stack of Mapbox supporting mostly mercator
could be very accurate, but this is not at all related to the Vector Tile
Specification. We purposefully attempt to make our tools as projection-less
as possible and hope that others find awesome ways to build upon the
standard.

"But what data is shown at which zoom level is defined by the styling" --
This is not true because you could make your data not even provide data at
certain zoom levels. At Mapbox we do this quite often, street data is never
included at very low zoom levels. Therefore, the style isn't the only
control here. In fact, I would encourage you to view styling and rendering
of vector tiles as an entirely different topic.

"There is enough interest from our side that we¹d be interested in contributing
(maybe monetary or with code, or both) to define and implement a better
general purpose tile format." -- Any issues you might have with the Mapbox
Vector Tile Specification or any ideas you might have with the format are
very much welcome. We want to make sure the spec migrates for community
needs. Please see
https://github.com/mapbox/vector-tile-spec/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md for
how you might help!

Finally, I would like to stress that while Mapbox Vector Tiles were
designed to be for rendering, it was well known during their design that
they could be used for other applications. This was especially true when I
was writing 2.0 of the specification as I tried to limit what would be
considered even the most common uses of vector tiles.

Thanks,

Blake Thompson