[gdal-dev] pdf file - raster and vector differences

Andre Joost andre+joost at nurfuerspam.de
Tue Feb 2 09:35:49 PST 2016

Am 02.02.2016 um 15:37 schrieb Piotr Pachół:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to ask If there is a way (by means of gdal tools) to
> recognize that pdf has vector features ?
> I have hundreds of geospatial pdf files (raster and vector) and I don't
> want  to open each of file in Acrobat Reader to verify if it is raster
> or vector.
> Instead I would like to make a script to produce result in text files,
> which I can later process automatically.
> I must add that in standard result of gdalinfo command I can't see any
> difference between raster and vector pdf file.

Apart from gdalinfo you can run ogrinfo on the files, which will only
return vector layers.

See my answer here for an example:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/156299/how-to-have-gdal-print-layers-of-geopdf-and-say-which-are-raster-vs-vector

gdalinfo also reports meta layers, which only consist of sublayers
(vector or raster or both), without own data.

HTH,
André Joost