[gdal-dev] MapInfo and number format limits

Jukka Rahkonen jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Feb 15 01:11:18 PST 2016

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/180627/qgis-ogr-shp-to-tab-export-crashing-mapinfo-due-to-number-format-issues
>  and a referred forum topic
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mapinfo-l/sO-wcp9bnuQ claim that
> MapInfo format allows number format to be 20,16) or shorter. Is this known
> and should the mitab driver handle the case?

The best specification about MapInfo format that I found is this official
MapInfo document
http://resource.mapinfo.com/static/files/document/1074660800077/interchange_file.pdf

The document does define "decimal" datatype but unfortunately it does not
tell which are the accepted values for "width" and "decimals"

Columns
Specify the number of columns. Then, for each column,
create a row containing the column name, the column type,
and, for character and decimal columns, a number to
indicate the width of the field. Valid column types are:
•     char (width)
•     integer (which is 4 bytes)
•     smallint (which is 2 bytes, so it can only store numbers between
      -32767 and +32767)
•     decimal (width,decimals)
•     float
•     date