[gdal-dev] Compiling with ECW/JP2ECW support enabled

Jonathan Williams jonvwill at verizon.net
Tue Feb 16 12:51:03 PST 2016

Hello,
In addition to my previous question regarding OpenCL support bafflement,
I've run into difficulty compiling GDAL 2.02 with ECW support.

I've compiled with "--with-ecw=/usr/local/hexagon", as the 5.2 SDK is
located there, and symlinked the
/usr/local/hexagon/lib/(x64|x86)/release/libNCSEcw.so library to
/usr/local/lib/libNCSEcw.so .

Configuration completes with no errors, as does compilation. The
./configure output indicates that support is selected, and config.log
says all libraries were found.

However, the completed utilities do not list ecw as a readable format,
and indeed, they cannot read ecw files (much less jpeg2000 ones).

I understand there have been libgdal-ecw scripts that some have run to
enable support; however, I haven't found one for this situation (Ubuntu
desktop 14.04.3 LTS 64 bit, with gdal 2.02).

Is it the case that these scripts also need to be run to enable ecw
support? or am I foolishly missing something?

I see in the config.log that -ECW_FLAGS are set to
'-DHAVE_ECW_BUILDNUMBER_H -DLINUX -DX86 -DPOSIX -DHAVE_COMPRESS
-DECW_COMPRESS_RW_SDK_VERSION', and thought perhaps a 32 bit library had
been selected; however, manually modifying the flag "DX86" to "DX64"
simply produced an error.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Jonathan Williams