[gdal-dev] Possible to test for a layer capability before creating a layer?

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Feb 18 16:23:54 PST 2016

Le vendredi 19 février 2016 00:55:21, Nyall Dawson a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm aware that for drivers I can use OGR_Dr_TestCapability to
> determine whether a particular driver as a specific capability. But is
> there anyway to test whether a specific driver also has support for a
> layer capability?
>
> The situation is that I'd like to populate a list with all available
> OGR drivers for which a created layer would then be able to support
> SequentialWrite, DeleteFeature, RandomWrite and CreateField.
>
> What would be the best way to go about this?

There seems to be growing interests for such topic (see yesterday similar
thread : https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2016-February/043782.html
)

The way to go is to add such capability flags at the driver metadata level.
This is now possible since GDAL 2.0 since OGR drivers can expose arbitrary
metadata items.
What has to be done :
- define which capabilities must be exposed
- enhance drivers to advertize them