[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.11 vs 2.1 and JPEG2000?

Jim Lacy lacy at wisc.edu
Tue Jan 5 09:51:03 PST 2016

Can anyone with knowledge of the JP2OpenJPEG driver confirm or deny the following observation?

I've been generating jpeg2000's in both GDAL 1.11.2 and GDAL 2.1.  With all settings the same, I've noticed the visual quality of the images generated in GDAL 2.1 are noticeably "better." (a subjective term, yes)

To my eyes, in 1.11.2,  -co "QUALITY=20" yields results visually comparable to roughly -co "QUALITY=12" in GDAL 2.1.  Win32 platform, binaries from gisinternals.com.

Are there significant improvements in the 2.1 driver that would explain my observation?

Jim Lacy
Wisconsin State Cartographer's Office
University of Wisconsin-Madison
(608) 262-6850