[gdal-dev] OpenJPEG: The Slumbering Giant Awakens

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Jan 12 07:01:24 PST 2016

> Btw, whats the reason for not compiling OpenJPEG by default in GDAL? Is it
> a licensing thing, or because there are so many alternatives?

The OpenJPEG driver requires the openjpeg library, whose source code is
external to GDAL sources.
Incorporating external code in GDAL sources involves one-time and long-term
maintenance costs (making sure it builds on all supported platforms, regularly
synchronization, etc...) which we tend to avoid unless necessary.