[gdal-dev] GDAL and Sentinel2

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 13 08:16:07 PST 2016

Le mercredi 13 janvier 2016 16:47:41, Jose Gomez-Dans a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in using GDAL with Sentinel2/MSI data. I understand that
> GDAL 2.1 will have a driver for this kind of data, but 2.1 hasn't yet been
> released. But given the actual image data are GMLJP2, is there some
> possibility of using an current GDAL build to access the images? If not,
> when can we expect to be able to use GDAL with the SENTINEL2 file format?

Yes, you can use the JPEG2000 drivers directly on each band .jp2 file. The
SENTINEL2 driver automates retrieval of metadata, grouping of bands of same
resolutions and mosaicing of tiles of L1C and L2A products (which can also be
done with gdalbuildvrt).

You can also compile the driver code as a plugin against older GDAL releases
(works at least with 1.10 or later)