[gdal-dev] OpenJPEG Testers Needed

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 13 11:40:26 PST 2016

> So, are you saying there are actual pixel differences between encoded file
> and original?

Yes

> > oh, so how does one make a forward struct declaration to make gcc 4.4
> happy ?

Apparently it doesn't like to see "typedef struct foo { ... } bar"
(openjpeg.h) and "typedef struct foo bar" (region_mgr.h).
If openjpeg.h was "struct foo { ... }", that would work (but we cannot touch
that one). Why not just including openjpeg.h in region_mgr.h to avoid the
typedef redefinitions ?

Was on a i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz, 4 GB RAM, 64bit build

> > With a single tiled 11310x17310 image with which GDAL uses the
> > opj_set_decode_area() area,
> > I couldn't really see the difference as the memory consumption grows to
> > above 2 GB,
> > which cause disk trashing on the system on which I test.
>
> Yes, that makes sense, there is still work to be done, I guess. The wavelet
> transform
> needs to be modified to be more memory efficient.  What size of decode area
> would you
> typically want to set on an image of that size ?

One use case could be for displaying in a desktop GIS application (QGIS for
example), so the size of the display area. Let's say 2000x1000 max.