[gdal-dev] Another OSS License Question

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 10:01:10 PST 2016

Hello,

I am curious about the OSS license landscape in the geospatial open source
community.  Off the top of my head, these are the common licenses:

GPL (2.0,3.0,LGPL, Affero)
Mozilla Public License 2.0
Apache
MIT
BSD 2 clause

>From what I understand, Affero is the strictest, and MIT/BSD are the most
permissive.  MPL 2.0 requires users to share modifications to the MPL
licensed source files themselves, but users can link to other proprietary
files and not share that code.So, MPL encourages some sharing back to the
community.
MIT/BSD have no restrictions other than replicating the MIT/BSD license
when code/binary is distributed.

What types of licenses are most commonly used? Are there GPL
applications/libraries in use, and if so, which ones ?

Interested in hearing any feedback/comments/rants/personal experience with
these licenses.

Cheers,
Aaron