[gdal-dev] bug report -- cpl_config.h should not be installed

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Wed Jan 27 09:55:28 PST 2016

Le mercredi 27 janvier 2016 18:42:19, Carnë Draug a écrit :
> Hello
>
> I am using an email instead of your bug tracker because the later requires
> yet another account on another site (osgeo.org).
>
> The bug is that cpl_config.h is installed and included from other gdal
> public headers (at least cpl_port.h, not sure if also from others).
> Why this is an issue is an autotools FAQ "Why should config.h not be
> installed?" [1] which also explains how to fix it.  Unfortunately, the
> link to the page that also explains why that is an issue is dead but it
> can still be seen from the web archive [2].
>
> You may not be affected by this issue until you try to make gdal work
> with another project that has the same bug. Then definitions start to
> collide.
>
> Also, note that this was originally reported 9 years ago [3] and closed
> as fixed (that doesn't look right to me).  The bug is still present.
> The autoconf FAQ suggests a fix.

I don't think the issue is so easy to fix unfortunately. See
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4810 and
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4282

If it is, a patch is welcome (and even if it hard to fix, a patch is also even
more welcome :-) )

A potential alternative solution that hasn't been mentionned in the tickets
and I'm thinking of would be to have all the #define of cpl_config.h prefixed
with CPL_ . Requires both changes in configure.in and source code that use
those #define.