[gdal-dev] GDAL/OGR 2.0.2 and 1.11.4 released

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Fri Jan 29 06:46:49 PST 2016

Le vendredi 29 janvier 2016 15:20:07, Bas Couwenberg a écrit :
> Even Rouault wrote:
> > It is not definite how long the team will still maintain the 1.11 branch,
> > so users are strongly encouraged to migrate to 2.0.2.
>
> Because not all reverse dependencies support GDAL 2.0 yet, the next Debian
> stable release (stretch) will most likely stick to 1.11.x as will the next
> Ubuntu LTS (xenial).

Are there many (and "important") reverse dependencies not yet ready ? If not,
couldn't they be withdrawn from the main repo and added back via a PPA or
something like that when ready ?

> I hope this will not cause too many issues.

It would be annoying for applications that could make use of GDAL 2.0
capababilities.
But I can imagine the challenge of managing a collection of applications...