[gdal-dev] Is OGR Buffer(...) thread safe in C#?

Casper Børgesen (CABO) CABO at NIRAS.DK
Mon Jul 4 07:23:34 PDT 2016

Hi

I was just trying to parallelize buffering of a large set of polygons using GDAL 2.1 in C#.
My code is something like the following:

List<Geometry> polygonList = List of polygons...
var result = new ConcurrentBag<Geometry>();

Parallel.ForEach(polygonList, polygon =>
{
    var polygonBuffer = polygon.Buffer(1, 1);
   result.Add(polygonBuffer);
});

I get a System.AccessViolationException in ogr_csharp.dll on the Buffer(...) line. Since my method runs fine using a normal foreach or if I omit the Buffer(...) method, I assume it has something to do with thread safety and OGR.

So is my problem just that OGR Buffer(...) isn't thread safe or am I doing something wrong here?

Regards, Casper