[gdal-dev] Time for a new GeoJSON driver?

Sean Gillies sean at mapbox.com
Wed Jul 27 14:19:53 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 9:40 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> Automatic reprojection to CRS84 would break existing systems that counted
> > on preservation of CRS. Addition of a configuration option like
> > OGR_GEOJSON_2008=TRUE would help, but this would still be a breaking
> > change, would it not?
>
> Automatic reprojection by default would indeed be a change. Difficult to
> say how
> breaking it is for existing workflows. Would be happy to hear about others'
> opinions. Another option would be to make RFCxxxx conformance an explicit
> user
> choice.

I'm concerned that requiring users to set an environment variable for
conformance will extend the period of transition from 2008 to RFC GeoJSON.
I honestly don't know that introducing a new format name ("geo+json"
instead of "GeoJSON") would be better, but I think it could be better:
`ogr2ogr -f geo+json` appears more portable (to, i.e., Windows) than
`RFCxxxx_GEOJSON=TRUE ogr2ogr -f GeoJSON`.

--
Sean Gillies