[gdal-dev] Questions on working with HYCOM data in netcdf format

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 11:04:08 PDT 2016

Stephen,

Take a look at these two discussions for starters on working with hycom:

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/167155/how-can-i-make-geotiffs-of-individual-depth-layers-in-the-hycom-ocean-circulatio

http://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/170882/how-can-a-make-a-netcdf-with-subgroups-smaller

You should start with the regular grids.  e.g.

ftp://ftp.hycom.org/datasets/GLBu0.08/expt_91.1/data/hindcasts/2015/hycom_glb_911_2015093000_t000_uv3z.nc

Make an 80 layer geotiff from the u/v and then use mapserver as Even
suggested.

-kurt

http://schwehr.org