[gdal-dev] New driver implementation with larger block size

Javier Calzado francisco.javier.calzado at ericsson.com
Mon Jun 6 01:16:22 PDT 2016

Hi guys,

First of all, congratulations for such a wonderful and useful library. My
team and I are modernising a huge software legacy tool with an important
GIS background. We decided to go with GDAL some time ago and we would like
to get the most out of it.

I have just finished implementing a new driver for a propietary raster
format we have been using for years. We plan to release it as open source
and contribute with the code when it is finished. As a first approach,
it's been done inheriting from a RawDataset and creating a RawRasterBand.
However, Raw driver is designed with fixed scanlines as block size. After
some benchmarking with Google Tests framework, although performance has
increased a bit, is not as significant as I expected compared to our old
legacy code. Since our tool is GIS intensive, I would like to push
performance forward.

The main concern when comparing GDAL vs our legacy GIS code is the block
size, we were caching much larger blocks than just a scanline. Is there
any design reason why RawRasterBand cannot be customized with any desired
block size? Is there any example of a larger block size driver? Any tips
performance-wise on how to implement a driver using a different block size
than a scanline?

Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Javier.