[gdal-dev] OGR s57 reader possible expansion to read Inland ENCs

Darren Ives darren.ives at km.kongsberg.com
Wed Jun 15 07:51:30 PDT 2016

Hello,

Currently we are using the s57 reader from OGR in a project, it is used to import s57 files and for that it works perfectly.  We would like to import Inland ENC files (http://ienc.openecdis.org/ Wikipedia: Inland_Electronic_Navigational_Charts<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Electronic_Navigational_Charts>), which is essentially an extended s57 format (more detailed, extra objects and their attributes etc).

I have searched through the gdal-dev archives, looking for any previous reference to Inland ENCs but have found none.  Has anyone looked at this before?

I am guessing that it hasn't be implemented and, as such, I would like to give it a try.  Our theory is that by expanding the csv files (s57attritubes s57objectclasses whatever) to add the Inland ENC attributes etc it would be enough to read the Inland ENC files.  Does anyone know if this could be the solution?

Any further information would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Darren Ives