[gdal-dev] New config option for date/time output

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 02:15:26 PDT 2016

Folks,

The OGRFeature::GetFieldAsString returns date/time fields formatted in
non-standard way. For example date is output as "year/month/day" as more
usual "year-month-day". This causes problems in many programs.

I suggest adding a new config option OGR_DATE_FORMAT, which, if set,
would make the method return date/time formatted according to it. I
suggest that we use the strftime and its format argument as the target
for the new option.

The implementation is complicated a bit when milliseconds and timezones
are involved since they are not included in the struct tm used by
strftime. I suggest that we assume seconds are formatted as :\d\d in the
format and simply add milliseconds (as .\d\d\d) and timezone (as
[+-]\d\d(:\d\d)), if they exists, after the second.

Do you think this needs a RFC?

I'm willing to implement the changes.

Ari