[gdal-dev] How to add more than one column to a shapefile using ogrinfo

aborruso aborruso at gmail.com
Mon May 2 01:43:02 PDT 2016

On 2 May 2016 at 09:32, Rahkonen Jukka (MML) [via OSGeo.org] <
ml-node+s1560n5263838h56 at n6.nabble.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that adding a general support for adding multiple columns
> with a single request into OGR SQL dialect would require to go through
> every driver: With PostgreSQL, build SQL statement with two ADD COLUMNs,
> with Oracle use one ADD and list of column definition, with SQLite make as
> many separate ALTER TABLEs as needed, with file based formats do whatever
> is needed. That is for sure doable but feels like a big work. Users should
> also be somehow aware that certain drivers use by default some other SQL
> dialect than the OGR SQL and adding multiple columns would require
> different syntax with native dialect and with OGR SQL.

I agree, it seems big. A solution could be to use a kind of access to the
db, like the one used by ORM system (SQLAlchemy, etc.), but to build this
it's a big job too.

Thanks for this thread with all of you.

Best regard

--
 Andrea Borruso
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it

--

"cercare e saper riconoscere chi e cosa,
 in mezzo all’inferno, non è inferno,

Italo Calvino