[gdal-dev] Questions about MBTiles write support @ GDAL 2.1 RC4

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon May 2 02:30:07 PDT 2016

Le samedi 30 avril 2016 22:23:19, Gunnar Blom a écrit :
> Hi.
>
> Awesome work with GDAL 2.1 RC4 and the MBTiles write support. I've ran into
> some questions using this feature with the C/C++ API.
> 1) When creating a MBTiles file, only one layer is written. Can you use
> GDAL to populate other layers?

I'm not sure what you call "layer". AFAIK MBTiles files do not have a concept
of storing tiles for different layers. (you could use GeoPackage for that)

> 2) Can you choose to create 512*512px tiles
> instead of the 256*256px default? Would increase quality on retina
> devices.

It is true that the spec doesn't say anyting about tile size, but are there
MBTiles files with tiles not 256x256 ? This isn't supported by the driver. On
writing this shouldn't be a big problem. On reading this might be a bit more
tricky as you could potentially have a mix of tiles of different sizes !

Even