[gdal-dev] Starting a discussion on style and coding guidelines

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu May 5 05:10:55 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-05 5:14 AM, Dmitry Baryshnikov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it's time to go forward and shift to C++11 in i.e. GDAL 2.2 and
> drop old staff as it was with Windows mobile support, VB, etc.
> Yes, it may be some regression in ABI, but this is less evil than
> support lot of ancient compilers.
>
> During our work on cmake build system for GDAL I faced that some
> dependency library needs VC2013SP2 on Windows - i.e liblzma, as it needs
> C99.
> We worked around it by including some logic to cmake, that if VC
> compiler is less than specific version the support of dependent features
> will be disabled.
>
> By the way, the repo with cmake for GDAL is here:
> https://github.com/nextgis-extra/lib_gdal
> The ubuntu ppa of libgdal2 build using cmake:
> https://launchpad.net/~nextgis/+archive/ubuntu/ppa/+packages
> Windows builds also using cmake: http://nextgis.ru/en/borsch/

About a month ago I made the hard decision to upgrade my entire MS4W
build environment from VC 2008 to 2015.  Driving this is that PHP 7 only
supports 2015.

The only GDAL dependent library not supported for VC 2015 is FileGDB
(I've seen an Esri developer state that 2015 SDK will be released with
their next FileGDB API upgrade).

MrSID 9.5.1 SDK works well with 2015.

I didn't try an ECW 5.x SDK, but the old 3.3 SDK works well with 2015.

Short story is I support future GDAL builds requiring a more recent
Visual Studio compiler (2013+), as other projects are already doing so.

For those packagers cringing in the thought of upgrading their whole
stack: join the club :)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna