[gdal-dev] Starting a discussion on style and coding guidelines

Mark Coletti mcoletti at gmail.com
Thu May 5 12:43:34 PDT 2016

On Thu, May 5, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Even Rouault <even.rouault at spatialys.com>
wrote:

> [...]
> That would be interesting if you (or anyone) could list which C++11
> features would be killer features
> to justify the upgrade to C++11 vs the potential pains that such a move
> might cause (especially
> as I raised in other emails, given the fact that GDAL uses a number of
> other libs and is used by a number
> of other libs) [...]

This is an off the cuff list of C++-11 niceties, and by no means exhaustive:

- std::move()
- *lambda expressions*
- auto keyword
- native smart pointer support, such as std::unique_ptr and std::shared_ptr
(though there's always the Boost fallback)
- concurrency API
- nullptr

Also, it's been many, many years since I last looked at GDAL/OGR source.
When I did I noted a lot of C-style I/O calls instead of using C++
equivalents.  Is that still the case?  If so, that's one area ripe for
refactoring.

Cheers,

Mark
mcoletti at gmail.com