[gdal-dev] Building GDAL on Windows 32 and 64 bit

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Tue May 31 05:00:16 PDT 2016

On 2016-05-31 8:46 AM, alex wrote:

> Hi Dmitry and others,
>
> I can see that you are making a great effort, and as far as I can tell with great progress too.
>
> Do you know why the rest of the list is silent on this? Are the GDAL developers not interested in cmakeification or are they in silent agreement with your approach?

I for one am not interested in 'cmakeification' of GDAL.  For the MS4W
community, I build 32 and 64 bit versions, for the full stack of Apache,
PHP, MapServer, GDAL (I counted recently and it is now over 200
libraries) - and the few projects that use cmake are the troublesome
ones.  (for example, MapServer switched to cmake but no one is
maintaining the mapscript parts of cmake, which means I have kept my own
makefiles alive, in order to build all of MapServer).

I am very against cmake, I have had terrible experiences.  I am all for
sharing our makefiles and making life easier, than using a fancy cmake
system that is not maintained.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna