[gdal-dev] Should GDAL handle this KML superoverlay?

Rahkonen Jukka (MML) jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Nov 1 05:46:28 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have some images which are georeferenced with a KML file and they show fine with Google Earth. However, GDAL does not know what to do with them.
I put some test data here:

http://latuviitta.org/downloads/shaded.kmz
http://latuviitta.org/downloads/shaded.kml
http://latuviitta.org/downloads/shaded.png

Test with gdalinfo (GDAL 2.2-dev, has KMLSUPEROVERLAY driver)

gdalinfo shaded.kmz
ERROR 4: `shaded.kmz' not recognized as a supported file format.
gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'shaded.kmz'.

By looking at the only documentation I found from KMLSUPEROVERLAY (i.e. running "gdalinfo --format kmlsuperoverlay") it looks like KMLSUPEROVERVIEW likes to write tiles instead of referring one whole png file as in the dataset that I have.  This mail thread may be related http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/kmz-KMLSUPEROVERLAY-back-to-a-georeferenced-raster-td5286480.html.

-Jukka Rahkonen-