[gdal-dev] Geospatial PDF - page size in Adobe Reader

Tomasz Sawka t.sawka at visimind.pl
Wed Nov 9 00:41:08 PST 2016

Hello

I'm using GDAL 2.1.2 with added patch to PDF driver made by Even Rouault (
https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/34856/). I'm trying to correctly
create PDF maps for printing in specified page format and DPI value.

According to this page http://www.papersizes.org/a-sizes-in-pixels.htm I
was preparing raster file in appropriate resolution:
A4 with 72 DPI = 595 x 842
A4 with 300 DPI = 2480 x 3508
A4 with 600 DPI = 4960 x 7016

Then i used CreateCopy  with  DPI value set to desired one and
WRITE_USERUNIT to yes.
When i check created files with gdalinfo all looks fine. The DPI value and
raster size
matches above values.  But when I open files in Adobe Reader the reported
size of page is correct only for 72 DPI. For example:

gdalinfo                                     Adobe Reader
 72 DPI, 595 x 842                    210 x 297 mm
 300 DPI, 2480 x 3508              874.9 x 1 237.5 mm
 600 DPI, 4960 x 7016              1750 x 2 475 mm

I've noticed that the  size reported by Adobe Reader match rule:
DPI / 72 * 210 x DPI / 72 * 297

Now I'm completely confused. Sitting on this subject for few weeks now, any
clues or explanation of this behavior are highly appreciated.

Best regards