[gdal-dev] Seg fault & error running gdal_rasterize on a non georeferenced raster

Tim Waters chippy2005 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 08:02:23 PST 2016

Hello,

I'm seeing an error running GDAL 1.11.3 on Ubuntu 16.04LTS and 2.10.
There was no error and it worked fine with GDAL 1.10.1 on Ubuntu
14.04LTS.

I see the error running gdal_rasterize utility and also in python.

gdal_rasterize -i  -burn 17 -b 1 -b 2 -b 3 clipping.gml -l features masked.tif

Python script for reference
https://gist.github.com/timwaters/a8da4e3e209aaae955d23446c3925125

ERROR 1: Unable to compute a transformation between pixel/line
and georeferenced coordinates for masked.tif
There is no affine transformation and no GCPs.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have tried to assign the non georeferenced raster an SRS LOCAL_CS["arbitrary"]
gdal_translate -a_srs 'LOCAL_CS["arbitrary"]' masked.tif
masked_ref.tif but got the same error when rasterizing.

The use case is for mapwarper.net where people can upload images and
create clipping masks around the rectangular images (to remove borders
etc) before adding control points and geo referencing them. Ideally,
I'd like to be able to keep the clipping on the unwarped images as
it's easier for users e.g often just drawing a rectangle than doing it
on the warped ones with many vertices and having to re-do each time
the georeferencing is changed.

Is this a new bug? The changelog didn't show anything new or changed
for gdal_rasterize from what I could see but perhaps I'm missing
something obvious. Is there a workaround? Perhaps there's an
Imagemagick command that would do it?

Many thanks,

Tim