[gdal-dev] Call for discussion on RFC 66: OGR random layer read/write capabilities

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Oct 3 08:49:34 PDT 2016

Even,

I briefly looked at it the other day. My only nit was it seems a little confusing to have a GetNextFeature on both the Dataset and the Layer. Is one always better than the other? Which one should I use when? Should I always use Dataset::GetNextFeature() and let it forward down to OGRLayer::GetNextFeature()? The RFC is clear about those questions, but people don't read the docs :)  Is it possible and more clear to rename it?

Its need also suggest this is adding some messiness in the relationship of Dataset <-> Layer.  I suppose there's not much we can do about that.

Howard