[gdal-dev] Outdated external overviews

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Tue Oct 11 07:11:10 PDT 2016

Julien,

> Thanks for your response. I understand all your points, and that Gdal
> requirements usually fall far beyond our limited use cases ...

I was mostly playing the devil advocate. I don't have in mind real world use
cases that would rely on .ovr being potentially older that the main file, while
still considering them valid (anyone having such use cases ?). And I'd suspect
they are probably very niche use cases, compared to the cases where the main
image has been refreshed but an outdated overview file is hanging around.
On the other hand, my main fear with your proposal would be timestamp issues
when copying datasets around that could make GDAL think that an .ovr is
outdated whereas it is not. But that's perhaps a unusual case too.
(That said we have already timestamp based logic in the GML driver where the
OGR generated .gfs file is only taken into account if more recent than the
.gml. I can remember having had issues with that with the autotest suite that
have required adding an explicit touch of the .gfs file before running the
test. Might be just a SVN / git thing, or perhaps the content of the .gml was
indeed minorly edited after the .gfs had been created.)

Thinking loud: would a USE_EVEN_IF_OLDER_THAN_MAIN_FILE=YES/NO metadata item
added to the .ovr would make sense to determine the later behaviour ? I dunno.
If folks are sufficiently aware to set this metadata to YES (assuming the new
default would be NO), then they might as well touch the .ovr file after
modifying the main file.

Anyway if you feel strong about changes in that area that have implications
regarding backward compatibile behaviour, a RFC would be appropriate.

Even