[gdal-dev] Question on TIFF compression alternatives

Neumann, Andreas a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Oct 14 00:45:38 PDT 2016

Hi,

I have a question on TIFF compression alternatives.

My data of concern is 8bit gray value. Lots of white pixel (>95%), the
rest is black pixels (content) and some gray pixels because of
antialiasing.

I would like to compress to save some storage, but I need a good
performance. What is the recommended compression that is fast on
decompression?

I tried DEFLATE, but it is rather slow to decompress. Would LZW or
PACKBITS be preferred in this situation? How about LZMA? I would like to
avoid non-compressed data, because I use SSD storage for performance
reasons.

Thanks for you reply,

Andreas