[gdal-dev] GDAL Python Bindings via manylinux wheels

Patrick Young patrick.mckendree.young at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 11:49:04 PDT 2016

Hi all,

I've been working on an experiment to see if I can get the Python GDAL
bindings packaged up as a "manylinux" wheel (see
https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0513/ and
https://github.com/pypa/manylinux for more info) to see if I can run the
GDAL utilities that are now exposed via the bindings as an AWS' Lambda
service (you need everything packed up into a zip to get it to run in
lambda).

Basically, such a wheel contains a vendorized version of GDAL and its
dependencies plus the bindings all packed up in a nice package for quick
and easy install without compilation and should work on most versions of
linux.

I've got a prototype that builds these wheels working (see
https://github.com/youngpm/gdalmanylinux  thanks to the rasterio project
for doing most of the work for their project!).  The nice thing is that
such wheels are virtualenv friendly and don't require the user having
installed gdal themselves, its all self contained in site-packages.

In any case, I thought other GDAL'rs might be interested, maybe this could
lead to official manylinux gdal wheels pushed to pypi at
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/GDAL/ ?  I believe the same trick can be done
for osx and windows, but haven't tried myself.

Patrick