[gdal-dev] ogr2ogr intersect very slow at command line with large sqlite input

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 10 19:11:19 PDT 2017

Chris,

I'm not suggesting that you change your workflow yet, only that you try
some experiments. I've worked with both Spatialite and postgis, but I
have much more experience with postgis.

While they both have many of same functions, the interactions with the
indexes is much more automatic and intuitive with postgis. I was
recently surprised to learn that st_intersects() is faster than
st_dwithin() in postgis. I can't say if the same is true for spatialite
because of the indexing differences that you have already run into.

Regarding your roads data, OSM stores everything as two noded straight
line segments, but many import tools chain them together into multiple
point line segments, which makes the bbox for the linestring larger,
which causes it to intersect with more other linestring bboxes so more
computational test.

If you are only looking for intersections at line ends and only
intersections at line ends where the roads have different names then you
could try a different approach

create a table of line end points, you could snap the floating point xy
values to a grid.

create table nodes (nid serial, geom geometry);
insert into nodes (geom)
select distinct geom
select st_snaptogrid(st_startpoint(geom), 0.000001) as geom from table
union all
select st_snaptogrid(st_endpoint(geom), 0.000001) as geom from table;

Then create a table assigning nid values to the lines

create table node2line (gid integer, nid integer, wend integer);

-- insert the start nodes into table
insert into node2line
select a.gid, b.nid, 0
   from table a, nodes b
  where st_snaptogrid(st_startpoint(a.geom), 0.000001)=b.geom;

-- insert the end nodes into table
insert into node2line
select a.gid, b.nid, 1
   from table a, nodes b
  where st_snaptogrid(st_endpoint(a.geom), 0.000001)=b.geom;

-- get the intersections from the node ids
select a.nid, a.gid, a.wend, b.gid, b.wend
   from node2line a, node2line b
  where a.nid=b.nid;

You will probably want to add some more filtering to eliminate dups, and
maybe another join to match sort out street names. But this can be done
mostly with simple btree indexes.

Also because you have snaptogrid, you can make the geom column text and
and populate it with st_astext()

I do something similar in postgis in my geocoder to identify intersections.

-Steve