[gdal-dev] [Geoserver-devel] GML lat-lon coverages and interoperability

Piero Campalani piero.campa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 00:13:35 PDT 2017

​Hi Jukka,​

On 10 April 2017 at 16:56, <gdal-dev-request at lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

> Andrea wrote:
>
> If there is no 1:1 correspondence between geographic and raster space
> axis, then I see no other way but to use Function to explicitly correlate
> the two.
> How would you propose to proceed instead?
>
> Perhaps with offset vectors?

l'lI just chime​ in to confirm you that: yes, offset vectors are the right
means.

There is no need for raster and CRS axis to have 1) the same dimensionality
(you want to describe a 2D grid in a 3D cube) and neither 2) the same axis
ordering.

Indeed raster/CRS axis pairing can make sense only when the raster is
diligently aligned with the CRS space, otherwise that would makes no sense.

@see
http://rasdaman.org/wiki/PetascopeUserGuide#GridaxislabelsandCRSaxislabels
http://rasdaman.org/attachment/wiki/PetascopeUserGuide/GridDomainSetAxes.png

hth,