[gdal-dev] Fwd: [OpenJPEG] OpenJPEG 2.2.0 is out ! Faster and safer.

jratike80 jukka.rahkonen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Tue Aug 29 01:42:21 PDT 2017

N. Farah wrote
> The results you get when enabling multi-threading are very interesting:
> 26.s to 9.9 s. Then using the work in progress you end up with 1s.
> Basically a 26 times speed improvement.

Hi,

As always when you read benchmarks, you must keep the results and the
context together so it is clear what was tested. In this case the important
part is that the test applies to single tiled images. They are what Kakadu
prefers (also in the usage examples) and it handles them splendidly by
utilizing the precincts. OpenJPEG has not been able to use precincts
(despite in a fork
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2016-February/043650.html) and
therefore it has slow with single tiled images and actually useless if the
tile size is something like 20000 by 20000 pixels.

Even can say how much faster the new branch is with JPEG2000 images which
use 1024x1024 tiles but I suppose that the speed-up factor is much less than
26.

-Jukka Rahkonen-