[gdal-dev] GRIB driver updates / call for testing / TDLPACK

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Mon Dec 4 11:46:08 PST 2017

Hi,

I wanted to inform you that the GRIB driver has received significant updates lately in trunk :
* the underlying degrib and g2clib libraries used to do the GRIB1 & GRIB2 parsing have been
updated to their latest upstream versions (*). Given that they are patched in GDAL for various
reasons (virtual I/O capabilities, security fixes, other fixes), the update involved merging, and
thus regressions might potentially have sliped in.
* various improvements on top of that:
   - faster gdalinfo on GRIB2 products on multiband datasets (no need to decompress the grid
data of the band other than the first one)
   - avoid erroring out on unsupported product definition template
   - fix in the GRIB1 reader that should make it possible to read more products (those with
NV,the number of vertical coordinate parameters, different from 0, which causes previously
error messages like "GRIB1 GDS: Expect PV = 255 !=33")
* addition of GRIB2 write support

So I'd appreciate testing from users to confirm if products they managed to read with past
versions are still readable with trunk.

I'm wondering if anyone relies on the support for the TDLPACK that apparently the degrib
library supports. This isn't even documented in the
http://gdal.org/frmt_grib.html help page.  From what I can read in
https://github.com/eengl/pytdlpack , it seems that TDLPACK is mostly an internal format of
NOAA/NWS Meteorological Development Lab. Couldn't find any publicly available file in that
format. If nobody uses this capability, I'd prefer we comment out all the parts related to
TDLPack so as to reduce the vulnerability surface.

Even

(*) https://svn.osgeo.org/gdal/trunk/gdal/frmts/grib/degrib/README.TXT