[gdal-dev] GDAL trunk is now open for/requires C++11

Kurt Schwehr schwehr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 09:23:51 PST 2017

Thanks Even for driving this to completion!

To follow up, the RFC's list of core changes are pretty limited:

- Change configure.ac to remove with_cpp11 flag, always use C++11, and fail
if AX_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_11 does not find C++11
- Remove @CXX11_SUPPORT@ in GDALmake.opt.in and anywhere else it occurs
- Remove continuous build targets that do not support C++11 from Travis-CI
and AppVeyor?
- Remove #if HAVE_CXX11 and leave only the C++11 code
- find . -name \*.h -o -name \*.cpp | xargs egrep 'HAVE_CXX11'
- CPL_STATIC_ASSERT -> static_assert
- NULL -> nullptr (Only for C++ code)
- CPL_OVERRIDE -> override and remove redundant virtual
- MAX or -max() -> std::numeric_limits<T>::lowest()

 It would be worthwhile to (even if only briefly) discuss the use each new
feature before starting to committing changes.  That will help us add to a
GDAL style guide over time.

http://schwehr.org