[gdal-dev] Ubuntu GDAL 1.10.1 support for ECW formats

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Feb 16 11:46:20 PST 2017

Hi all,

On my system: Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS

I have installed:
gdal-bin:amd64/trusty 1.10.1+dfsg-5ubuntu1 upgradeable to
2.1.0+dfsg-1~trusty2
libgdal-dev:amd64/trusty 1.10.1+dfsg-5ubuntu1 upgradeable to
2.1.0+dfsg-1~trusty2
libgdal1h:amd64/trusty 1.10.1+dfsg-5ubuntu1 uptodate

$ gdalinfo --formats|grep ECW
   ECW (rw): ERDAS Compressed Wavelets (SDK 3.x)
   JP2ECW (rw+v): ERDAS JPEG2000 (SDK 3.x)

On a clients system also Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS, they have the same packages
installed.

The problem is my system has ECW support, but the client system does not!

gdalinfo file_wgs84.ecw
ERROR 4: `file_wgs84.ecw' not recognised as a supported file format.

I can not figure out why this is the case, or if there is some other
package then needs to be installed or what the issue. And the gdalinfo
--formats|grep ECW comand fails to return anything.

Any ideas on this?

-Steve

---