[gdal-dev] Question about .aux.xml sidecar file handling...

Carl Godkin cgodkin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 06:55:49 PST 2017

Hi,

I have a geological map in a pair of files called USGS.tif and
USGS.tif.aux.xml

The XML seems to have ground control points (<SourceGCPs>) and a geographic
coordinate system (<SpatialReference>)

I was hoping that GDAL would treat the file as if it's a GeoTIFF.  But if I
run gdalinfo on the .tif, it doesn't seem to read the coordinate system or
GCPs.  Instead, I see this:

Driver: GTiff/GeoTIFF
Files: USGS.tif
       USGS.tif.aux.xml
Size is 11451, 12188
Coordinate System is `'
Corner Coordinates:
Upper Left  (    0.0,    0.0)
Lower Left  (    0.0,12188.0)
Upper Right (11451.0,    0.0)
Lower Right (11451.0,12188.0)
Center      ( 5725.5, 6094.0)

Am I missing something?  I have GDAL_DATA set appropriately and am using
GDAL 2.1.1 on Windows.

I would like to either treat the .tif + .tif.aux.xml as a GeoTIFF or else
translate it to one.

Thanks very much,

carl